Report on my wife’s surgery

My wife Jean was scheduled for an operation on her elbow on Tuesday.  We didn’t know what time because it was "stand-by."  They said they would call her at 10 a.m., but the call didn’t come until 2 p.m.  She got to the hospital about an hour later and got ready.  However, two children were brought in with open fractures from an accident, so Jean had to wait and the operation started around 7 p.m.  I called the hospital around 9 and was told she was sleeping and they were keeping her overnight.  She woke up and called me to tell me that about half past one in the morning.  I went in to visit her that afternoon, and it seemed as if she would remain there for a second night.  However, after I went home, they told her she would be discharged that evening.  I arrived to pick her up at 7 p.m.  They still didn’t have her discharge papers.  These finally arrived, and they gave her a prescription for pain medication, which I had to get at a drug store near the hospital because ours would be closed before I could get there.  We got home about nine p.m.  Yesterday Jean spent most of the day in bed, as she is wearing a cast which she says weighs somewhere between 5000 pounds and ten tons.  Today she is up and dressed, but I still had to cook breakfast and help her dress.  Neighbors brought in enough food for both of us for about a week.

About mcogswell2

I am a retired minister of the United Church of Canada. I am currently Editor of the Cogswell Courier, the newsletter of the Cogswell Family Association.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s